Destination: Huasco Alto and Huasco Bajo, Atacama Region.
Areas of interest: Identification and interpretation of flora and fauna / Walks / Natural and cultural heritage / Gastronomy / Identity and local culture.
Difficulty: Low, suitable for all kind of public.
Duration: 5 days / 4 nights.
Departure dates from Santiago: All over the year.
Only in some years the desert of the Atacama Region surprises us with its wonderful and exuberant bloom; it’s a phenomenon of occasional occurrence.
But what ist not occasional in the desert of this región are its beautiful mountain ranges furrowed by rivers that originate in the Andes mountains and which, thanks to the laborious work of its inhabitants, have brought forth small and hidden productive valleys.
These rivers, El Tránsito and El Carmen, are tributaries to the Huasco River around which extends a wide and fertile valley with multiple surprises. The Huasco River flows into the Pacific Ocean in the port of the same name.
To make efficient use of this journey and get to know the area rich in natural and cultural heritage, we planned this tour considering the Panamerican Highway as dividing axis inbetween Huasco Alto in the east and Huasco Bajo in the west.
Some of the main attractions to visit are the following:
– Aguada de Tongoy
– History, handicrafts and local gastronomy of Huasco Valley
– Production of extra virgin olive oil from family tradition *
– Route “Olivos Centenarios” *
– Llanos de Challe National Park
– Wetland of Carrizal Bajo
– Workshop ‘Desert flowers elaborated with paper’
– Santa Juana Reservoir
– Alto del Carmen and Carmen Valley
– Elaboration of Pisco and Pajarete
– Tasting of typical and artisanal products (Bou Barroeta, Horcón Quemado etc.)
* Important note: On October 8th 2018 the National Institute of Industrial Property “INAPI” granted to Huasco Valley’s olive oil, protected designation of origin which is unique in this kind in Chile and South America.
For more information: email@example.com
Cel. (+56 9) 9316 7915
G A L L E R Y
TRAVEL ASSOCIATED WITH